Julie & John

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Work, work, work...

Sometimes a certain patient just gets to you heart. You're not sure why that particular patient does, but she does. I've had a couple in particular that I will never forget. One was a patient that I took care of for 16 days post partum last year as she struggled to get better. She always had a good attitude and was a pleasure to see everyday. She did finally improve and she went home to take care of her baby. I saw her a few weeks later and she was smiling from ear to ear as she talked about how much she loved being a mom. Her kindness I will keep forever.

I have another special patient right now that has been such a trooper and managed to smile despite a rough few weeks. On Friday her condition worsened significantly (very scary) and we had to deliver by C/S. This will likely be the only baby she has (another pregnancy would be to risky for her health) and was only 420g at birth (less than 1 lb). The baby was 3 days old today when we were told she needed to get to the children's hospital as soon as possible because the baby had taken a turn for the worse. Once she got there they withdrew care and the baby died in her arms. Her sadness I will keep forever.

Sometimes our job is amazing. Sometimes it just sucks. Wonder which tomorrow will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment